Monday, January 24, 2011

The Sharon Tate House, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana & A BBQ - Part One

This might have to be a two part story, I'm pretty pooped out from work today but this tale has been on my mind all day.  

Growing up in Beverly Hills there are a high percentage of teenagers that want to figure out how they can get onto the property located at Cielo Dr that was the location of the Manson Family murders of Sharon Tate and her house guests.  Basically teenagers in that area are looking to claim they smoked some weed on the property, but the property is well gated and the police do not mess around in that area, even in the 80's when I was growing up.

You can try all you want, you're not getting onto that property.

Fast forward to aprox 1991-1992ish. 

At the time I'm working for a rock band (mentioned in previous blogs), the bands on the road  and the phone rings. It's a young lady looking for one of the members, I explain that he's on tour and could I help her. 

The young lady is named Regina, she is in town from New Orleans and the band member was the only person she knew in Los Angeles besides the person she was staying with blah blah blah.  I'm bored and friendly so we start chatting.  I end up inviting her to come hang out with my friends and I that night we are heading out for drinks or something, we continue to talk, turns out....she's staying at the SHARON TATE HOUSE!!!

WHAT!!! STOP!!  Ok my head is spinning.  I needed to see this house! 

And Regina invited me over. 

Now it's been a while since all this went down so my details are a bit hazy.   I did pick up Regina up at the house, she gave me the full tour, creepy!!  Such a gorgeous property, sprawling front lawn, huge trees a little pool and the famous guest house. Really sad that everything associated with such a sweet house was so horrendous.

The house was basically left untouched since the murders, cleaned up, new carpet, paint, kitchen appliances, etc.  It was the same very sweet ranch house with the same front door.  The one that the Manson family wrote PIG on in blood.  


 I can't remember if that night Regina and I went to Pilar's house (she lived down the road) to watch Helter Skelter or a night shortly thereafter, but a few of us girls did watch the movie at Pilar's and were totally freaked out.  

Driving Regina back to the property after watching the movie that night it was an extra freak out when we pulled up to the gate to find a wreath of flowers and a candle on top of the entrance call box.  Apparently it was the anniversary of the murders!!

There was also an incident when Regina got very spooked, heard something behind the property and called the police.  Well....let me tell you, when you live in that house and call the police...the come really damn fast. 

OK so on to the fun part.....

Why was Regina staying at the Sharon Tate murder house and who the heck would even rent this house?  

My girlfriend Alexis was a real estate broker and at one point tried to rent the house to Axel Rose who apparently was so freaked he wouldn't even see it.  Who would rent this place?

Yup...Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails

Trent rented the house and turned the living room into a studio.  He was also using an off site recording studio working on a new album. 

He put the sound board under the area where they found Sharon's body hanging from the ceiling beams. 

Regina and Trent were friends from New Orleans and she came up to visit.

Now add me into the mix, I'm young, I like people, I work in rock n roll, we have access to this really crazy house....um, "Trent, can we have a party at your house?"

Trent agreed.  So we threw a party at The Sharon Tate Murder House....

Part Two coming soon.



Sharon Tate would have been 68 today








No comments:

Post a Comment