Sunday, February 20, 2011

Life, Liberty and the non pursuit of wonkyness...

First weekend of yoga teachers training is done.  Unbelievable experience, I'm feeling so good that I walked/danced from my studio on St Marks up Broadway listening to Elvis Perkins' "Hey".

At moments I had to pinch myself just to believe that I was sitting in a room filled with people having in depth discussions on yoga.

I really couldn't have done this a year ago pre-brain cyst.  I wasn't in this place mentally or emotionally and most importantly spiritually, I needed that year to grow and change. 
This evening I was catching up with a dear friend on a call and two things came to mind.

A. The AA Big Book and the Sanskirt Yoga teachings from 4000 years ago are so similar in basic principal  it's crazy, don't get me started on Kripalu (freaky). 

B. Even though we are both going through this big period of change and positive development in our lives, all gifts of our sobriety, we have to remember that there is so much going on if we forget to take care of our basic needs it can all turn very quickly and we get wonky or fall off the beam.  Basic needs focusing on our sobriety, resting, eating, taking care of ourselves first and foremost.  Put the oxygen mask on yourself first before helping others!! Super important. 

Today I really felt like god was taking care of me in big ways, sending me little signals that I was in the right place and doing the right thing.

Normal people (non alcoholics) call these coincidences, we cult members feel a little different.  For me things I thought we coincidences at first are now god reminding me "hey shanon, I totally have this, you're cool, have fun in yoga class, I sent you a few of your fellow drunks to give you support in here" or my favorite one is when I'm walking down the street in the morning all cranky, no coffee and a member of my AA home group, one in particular walks right up and says good morning, "thanks god, I needed that friendly smile today."  Normal people don't recognize how often this stuff happens, but it's going on constantly.

If you're a normie reading this, maybe you'll have a drop more awareness.  Next time something you think is coincidence happens, stop and think about it for a minute.  Is it really really a coincidence?  Or maybe god opening a door?? sending you a remember??

Alright, episom bath for me now and All The Presidents Men.

xo

Shanon

BTW - today I have 20 months of sobriety! party!!

No comments:

Post a Comment