Very lovely birthday week. Filled with time spent with inspiring friends.
Weds I had lunch with Luci, we haven't seen each other in a while. She has made some incredible changes in her life that have inspired me. There must be something in the air, people are looking to improve their time on earth, be happy, realize that the life they choose in their 20s isn't the life they need to continue living because it's become unsatisfying as they get older.
I've been reading The Bhagavad Gita, this particular translation is by Eknath Easwaran. Krishna is telling Arjuna to "renounce the fruits of action" and "you have the right to work, but never the fruit of work"
Basically one way to interpret this is if you have goals and they are not met to your liking, don't be disappointed the end result wasn't what you wanted, there is a reason why the end result came out a different way, it wasn't your will it was gods will. There is a reason this happened, you'll see it on your path and understand it later.
Yesterday I read something pretty wonderful a quote from Gandhi that relates back to this idea.
"...you must not worry whether the desire result follows from your action or not, so long as your motive is pure, your means correct. Really, it means, that things will come right in the end of if you take care of the means and leave the rest to him."
My faith in a high power or god for a lack of better term is very strong. There is something bigger than me, something that creates the sunrise and sunsets that I watch daily, something I can't explain. Having faith in something bigger than myself helps me move through this life without fear. Yes I am a normal person who has moments of fear, the unknown, but I don't dwell in them and they pass. I can't control the future and I don't regret the past, I've learned from it, it's behind me. I live in the present, I do the next right thing and although the result may not always be to my liking it's the way it's supposed to be. Sometimes I don't realize it until time passes and I can see the situation with better understanding.
These are things I didn't fully understand until recently, the past 7-8 months of my life I have really had a huge growing period. Time has passed and I see why things have happened the way they have and I understand the results.
A good example is becoming sick in January 2010. I wanted to originally take yoga teacher training in Feb 2010. When I became sick I couldn't do it and wasn't able to attend until Feb 2011. I now see why, I wasn't ready, spiritually, mentally, physically, I met important people through this training, my life was very different when I attended I had been through a lot. But it took time for me to understand all of this, at first I was resentful at my illness for postponing my goals. Now I am grateful.
Anyway, my birthday was wonderful, my office bought me Babycakes! They are the best! I ate two, my friends and I attended a wonderful kirtan and spent two hours singing and dancing that evening. People sent me birthday wishes from around the world. Pretty outstanding.
Yesterday my friends Marisol, Jimmy and I attended the 5th Annual NY Dance Parade, man, this was one long parade, but there was a few cool things. It went from 21st St and Bdwy down to Thompkins Square Park in the East Village. So the three of us watched the parade come down St Marks in front my old apartment.
Here are a few pics from things I enjoyed in the parade
Roller Blading Butterfly
I'm starting a Bikram 30 day challange. Today is day 3, I'm going to Robin's 5pm class with my neighbor. Yesterday I took a Bikram class in the morning and a wonderful class called Lotus Flow Hour at Laughing Lotus with Marisol in the evening.
On the walk from the East Village to Laughing Lotus we unfortunately saw all the religious crazy people waiting for the end of the world in Union Square. This is a photo I took, I had to get out of there quick, it made me so uncomfortable. And to quote myself "Marisol, we need to get out of here, if the world ends I don't want to die with these freaks, I'd rather be surrounded with luxury at ABC Home & Carpet"
Off to Target, I want to buy hot pink sheets.
xo Enjoy your Sunday
Shanon

No comments:
Post a Comment