Sunday, June 17, 2012

It's Not Easy Being King....

It's been months since I've written here in the ye ol' blog.  Sorry folks, I promise to catch you up on my adventures sometime soon, they've been challenging and wonderful.

Tonight I'm reflecting on the death of Rodney King, which I heard about on a tv while having dinner with my family earlier.

Someone at our table began to spew horrible things about Mr King, such as, "he should have died years ago," and more. 

I voiced my opinion, "no one should be treated the way he was by the LAPD, no one"

What the LAPD did to Mr King was inhumane, I saw a lot about that continued behavior by the NYPD when I moved to New York in 1997.

What took place in LA as a result of the verdict in the LAPD officers trial was bound to happen eventually. 

I remember the fear of hearing the not guilty verdict come in on the news,  screaming and crying while watching Mr Denny as he was beaten and dragged from his truck on live tv. I witnessed a person shot on the corner of Highland & Sunset as I was driving home from work and watched looting happen only blocks away from my home. 


The police were wrong, the men that attacked Mr Denny were wrong. 

As a result of the verdict and the LA riot people began to rise up and voice their opinions of police brutality.  Laws changed, racial profiling changed.

No nothing is perfect.  Nothing will ever be perfect, but the awareness was important.  

We need to remember what happened. 

Sadly Mr King never could handle his personal demons.  The symbol he become was constantly tarnished over the years by his addictions.

I hope he finds peace where ever he is off to now.

I pray for a future where riots, beatings and bullying are no longer daily issues.

Rest in peace Rodney King.


Rodney King


Reginald Denny

No comments:

Post a Comment