Monday, March 21, 2011

Awareness

Awareness, having it, developing it, not having any....as I grow older I see so many people who are plain and simple unaware.  Unaware of how a simple act on their part can have an enormous effect on someone else.  Being a jerk to someone on the subway can ruin someone's entire morning, smiling at someone and saying good morning can have the opposite effect.

Being aware of our bodies, our thoughts, what happens when we choose a instead of b...it only takes a few minutes of thought to begin a chain of events.

One of the things I focus on a lot in yoga is my awareness of my practice.  Am I breathing, am I listening to my teacher, what is this teacher saying, if I only follow their instructions am I being taught clearly, etc.  These are all very important especially in my own path of becoming a teacher.  Is what I'm saying to my students clear?  If they follow my words are they able to practice correctly without knowing the sequence?  Am I reminding them how to breathe?  My ability to be aware and present as a teacher will effect my students practice.  
Lately outside of my yoga practice where I spend so much time and energy on my awareness I notice a LOT of people completely wrapped up in themselves and unaware of the effects they have on the lives of others.  For the life of me this boggles my mind.  If the tables were reversed would they like being the person who's life is being interrupted needlessly?  Have they taken a few mins to see what they forgot has now had a domino effect on multiple people causing them to stop their own lives and try to solve this mistake?  It's quite incredible.

Basically people's lack of awareness has me really off the beam.  So next time you do something try giving it a few moments of thought.  Everything you do has an effect.  It feels nice to be nice, to smile, to be kind.  Take a moment, breathe, then act.  I guarentee it will make a difference in your day and to someone else.
Shanon


No comments:

Post a Comment