Friday, May 29, 2015

Happy Birthday Daddy

A few months ago my father mentioned in passing that I was always writing these blogs, why didn't I write about him? I don't think it crossed his mind that most of the stuff I write about is my own growth and the pain it takes to move through it, his words did plant a seed for me, I would write about him, when the time was right. 

June 1st is my fathers 70th birthday, so I dedicate this entry to my dad who has taught me a ton about life, especially in the last several years. 

My dad is no ordinary 70 year old man, his spirit is young to match his looks. He's stylish and proud of it, he takes care each day to look fantastic no matter what he's up to, work, golf or just hanging out. I believe a lot of that quality he received from his mother, my dear grandmother who passed away this year at the perfect age of 99 years young. 

Dennis is young at heart, he loves cars, motorcycles, the ladies, a good cigar, music and a fine steak dinner. He's genuinely excited by life happening around him and to see him at work, which I get to do on a daily basis is quite the show. His personality is larger than life, he commands the sales floor, joking with customers and when I stand back to watch I understand his passion for his work keeps him young. 

Growing up and living 3,000 miles away from my father was difficult, I never got to have the father daughter relationship  I wanted. We spoke once a week, little exchanges but as a child how do you actually have a meaningful relationship with someone so far away? 

As I got older we were able to be friendly, he would visit me in Los Angeles and New York seeing bits and pieces of my messy life. I can only imagine him being worried about what path I choose.

As I started to become "successful" in my various careers my father enjoyed being my supporter, attending events I produced or keeping my Playbills from shows at Carneigie Hall showing them to friends and customers. I would hear this via people who experienced the glow of his pride in my accomplishments. 

It made me feel good to make my dad proud of me. Because in parts of my life I was a success, although inside I didn't feel that way. 

When I moved to Detroit 3 years ago and began working for him it was a challenge. We both had incredibly large egos and stubbornness runs heavy in our bloodline. We butted heads constantly and finally I thought this just couldn't work. 

Scared of losing my one functioning parent I went to him and spoke from the heart of my fears, if we didn't make the work situation happen we would be in jeopardy of losing any chance of an important father daughter relationship, the one I always wanted. 

I really didn't think it would work. To my surprise something clicked for both of us. 

Today my father is one of my best friends, we have both grown and changed for the better. Maybe I changed more, who really knows, I do know that I love working with him and spending time with him outside of work is truly one of my biggest joys. 

My dad listens, he's funny, surprisingly more open than I thought originally. I know now that I never knew my father as a person before 2013. We've experienced so much together, I have nothing but the highest respect and gratitude for our relationship. 

This is my love letter to one of the most important people in my life, one of the loves of my life, and best friends, my dad Dennis Chaiken. I look forward to many happy years with you in this life and hopefully in the next. 

I love you dad. Thank you for everything you do. Happy Happy Birthday


No comments:

Post a Comment