My flight was slightly delayed, yet arriving in perfect time to meet a mutual friend of Zoe and I at the airport. Someone I knew but not well. This weekend gave us a lot of hang time for which I am super grateful and happy to say we have bonded!
Especially in our love of constant Po Boy eating which seems to become almost a sport at this point. Where will the next one be from? Who has the best bread? Oyster or shrimp? Always dressed and covered in as much Crystal sauce as it will hold. We did find a champion, Domilises, always oyster.
We ate these sandwiches everywhere, sitting on steps of a court house, in actual restaurants, on the go. Hungry? We need to stop and get a Po Boy, a new addiction.
As everyone started to depart lovely humid New Orleans on Monday, I found myself meeting and making new friends of friends, enjoying a different scene and new foods, although there was a lone Po Boy sesh at Domilises, I sent my new partner in sandwich a photo of what she was missing.
Finally checking myself into the new hipster hotel in the central business district, thrilled for a solid shower, good night sleep and to get back home. I actually was excited to return to Detroit! It's hot here, no joke, it's making the mild Detroit weather look really good.
Tuesday morning I arrived at the airport to find my flight delayed and then after a few hours cancelled. Crap. Stay focused, stay present, do I have enough medication? Yes, I'm good, we'll make this work. Deep breath.
Questions arise...So what is my unfinished business here in New Orleans that I needed to take care of before I leave? Clearly there is a bigger reason I'm remaining another night.
The extra time gave me another chance to hang with Zoe. Being able to reconnect with a good friend who I have been through so many phases of life with over the past 17+ years. She's an amazing spirit, truly no one like her. Bearing witness to her new marriage and watching her interact with her husband and two children. What a gift for me. Plus she gives good advice, my extra time here allowed all that and kept me present. It gave me messages I needed to feel positive in some places of my life I was feeling uneasy.
Zoe showed me the New Orleans Tree Of Life, a 275 year old miracle, I love when nature defies everything, it's been through so much and is still here, still strong and present.
This delay also tested another challenge I've always had which is impatience. I floated through my delays, solved my transportation and housing dilemmas with ease. What a change for me! In the past especially when I was drinking I would freak out when anything went off program.
Looking at the big picture, all of my delays of the past day and a half I can say in confidence that I'm changing, I'm growing, seeing these things brightly and it's a great feeling.

No comments:
Post a Comment