Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year, On Death & Dying, Amends, Dreams and Desi Arnaz Jr.

Today I learned that if I don't take my medication for two days I will suffer for it with a massive headache that makes me feel like my head will explode.  

Good news intense pain will make me leave the house in an ice storm to pick up my RX from the neighborhood pharmacy, that isn't too far, but seems a lot further in my head when stuck at home for several days unmedicated.

This btw is the Topamax I take for my auras from my brain cyst.  Not crazy town meds as you might be thinking, I don't shockingly take crazy town meds.

For some reason I think there is a mouse living in my closet, I see something going on in there, or am I imagining it?  Whatever is happening in my closet Lulu my chihuahua ran into the closet and laid there this morning, very out of the ordinary. Maybe my shoes just smell really good, I wouldn't be surprised, I smell awesome most of the time.

At the moment I'm watching a documentary on Maya Deren. So far I loved this film she shot with all these dancers in a field, it was really sexy, and I love that she is such a narcissist that she's in most of her films.  I would totally do the same thing if I was Maya Deren.  And I love that she's from Kiev, she also sounds like Lucille Ball.  Which I was NOT expecting.

My mom dated Desi Arnaz Jr in the late 1970s btw.  He was totally hot.  My mom says that Lucy would just drop by the house unannounced and spoil whatever fun times were going on and kick everyone out.  She says Lucy was a total beeoch.  Very sad to hear, but I'm not surprised, she was one of the most powerful women in Hollywood at one point.

Today I had a really good manicure and pedicure at the salon next door to my house. Very nice Chinese family owns the place, they are a sweet mother/daughter combo.  I busted out my limited Chinese on them and wished them a happy new year, which put them into fits of laughter, jeez, did it really sound that bad??  They must really like me because they waxed my eyebrows for free! 

I also performed one of my lease favorite tasks, dropping off the laundry, now I don't actually do my own laundry, I just drop it off, but it's almost as bad as going to the dentist for me.  The bag, going down 4 flights of stairs, around the corner, having to TALK to someone about my laundry, ick.  I hate it.  It's done and now I will procrastinate the picking up of the laundry until the weekend.

My Lucy B lingerie arrived today, it's fantastic, thanks for asking.

There is a business space down the street from where I live that has been vacant for a while now, the building got fixed up and now it's for rent.  I have a little dream of this space becoming the yoga studio I eventually open.  There is a picture below.

Sadly the last part of my blog is about death.  My Aunt is dying.  I really owe her an amends.  This is hard and I'm not quite sure how to deal with the entire situation.  When I was a child I was really close with my Aunt Fran, my cousin Loren her son was one month younger than I was and we basically spent the first several years of our life together.  This is all during the time my parents were married and living in Detroit.  This is also a time I have incredibly fond memories of my whole family having huge celebratory dinners, parties, always at my Grandparents house, tons of delicious homemade Jewish food.  No one was dead, no one was divorced, an alcoholic, a drug addict, crazy, etc.  It was the perfect time.

A few years ago my cousin Lorne died suddenly of diabetes.  I believe we were both 35 at the time, Lorne was married with three kids.  He didn't take care of himself, the doctors warned him, he didn't listen and he died. 
Now death is so odd.  Odd in the way of what is the right way to do anything.  There really isn't.  There are two things that throw a monkey wrench in anything I know how to deal with they are death and birth.  So strange, complete opposites.  I have no idea what the proper protocol is on either.

So don't be surprised if you die or have a baby you probably won't hear from me right away because I feel like I'm bothering you.  Sorry, that's just the way I react.  But if you are in an emergency, I am your girl, I am great in an emergency situation.

Lorne died, I had no idea how to react, not only dealing with my own freakishness but my mortality and seeing someone my age die.  And I never called my Aunt or Uncle.  I talked to my Cousin Robin, Lorne's sister and my Grandmother (Nana) but no one else.

Now Lorne's mom is dying, my Aunt and I feel like I need to say goodbye and thank you for all those memories and I'm sorry for not being there when Lorne was gone and that it makes me feel very sad.  I just don't know how to do this at all, I think I'll pray on this tonight and the answer will come.


My future yoga studio?? A girl can dream....and every yoga studio needs a gargoyle or two protecting it, especially in Park Slope

No comments:

Post a Comment