Thursday my friend Christine and I went to The Whitney to see the Edward Hopper exhibit which closes tomorrow. It's well worth a quick swing up there to check out. There were a few pieces that I dug, it was not the experience I had with Abstract Impressionism which drew me in and put me in a meditative state, but I enjoyed it none the less.
Soir Blue by Edward Hopper
This painting in particular I found completely distributing, you really should see it in person for all the small details that make you ask questions, plus the colors are breathtaking.
Upstairs on the 3rd Floor of The Whitney is an exhibit by Glenn Ligon that is not to be missed. The piece with the Mapplethorpe's is wonderful, moments of super uncomfortable to "um, that is the biggest penis I've ever seen, wow" which moves to beautiful art that reminds you again why Mapplethrope was so celebrated.
About 12 years ago I was briefly dating a comedian who is known for his very crass comedy but he knew I loved art, so we went on a date to The Guggenheim to see a Picasso exhibit and ran across a room of Mapplethropes. It was one of those memories I will never forget, being surrounded by photography that was inspiring with someone who was witnessing it for the first time. Plus in a strange twist one of the photos was of an old friend of mine Smutty, who I never knew posed for Mapplethrope. I wish I was still in touch with Smutty today so I could hear that story. It's kind of neat to know someone who posed for this great photographer.
Last night in yoga class I we did Yin practice. You move very slowly and hold poses for several minutes. It was super painful. I've decided Yin yoga is not for me. Period. That's ok, it's for someone else and I hope they enjoy it a lot. I'm sure one day I'll try it again and have a different experience.
And in another twist! I actually went out on a Friday night. Yes ladies and gents, since I've started teacher training I've been pretty set on coming home after class on Friday and getting a good night rest. That did not happen. Molly and I went to Terminal 5 and saw our good friend Tad play. The only place to watch a show at T5 is the VIP balcony, otherwise that is the worst venue I've ever been to for sight lines and sound. Lucky we were in that balcony. Also it's really cold in there, odd. I love Tad, we've been friends for maybe7 years now, I was thinking about things we've been through in the past 7 years and how we used to be, oof. Crazy. We are such different people, thank god. This upcoming week I'm going to teach him yoga which I'm excited about!
I also did my first spit take last night. While picturing someone naked, the thought randomly popped in my head I leaned over to tell Molly and Susan about it, took a gulp of water, started laughing and spit all the water that was in my mouth on them. Oops. Sorry ladies. It was funny. And sorry for putting that image in your head, it's awful I know. I'm still trying to erase the thought myself.
It was nice to see Susan last night, she is an incredible artist who said she is feeling uninspired and stopped drawing for now. I have one of her pieces in my house, I'm sure she'll start again soon. She's to talented not to share that with the world.
I've completely boggled up my finances this week by not anticipating a particular payment so I'm pretty broke. Oh well. You live and learn.
And everyday I second guess and then understand the decission I had to make earlier in the week regarding my friend and I no longer speaking. This morning I woke up a bit sad as I miss them. This will get a bit easier, but it aches a little. There is a lyric that has been sticking in my head and giving me some strength "some would say our love is lost, but I swear I know my way from here" I do a lot of praying.
Ok I'm off to get ready for class. I'm adjusting this evening at YTTP on 38th St at 7pm, Hot Vinyassa if you're in the neighborhood swing by!
XO
Shanon

No comments:
Post a Comment